Various ways to create user accounts
There are several ways a user account can be created in ScholarLMS. This capability is given to the administrators, managers and in some cases normal users, if you choose to allow learners to self-register.
Scenario 1: Creating an account manually by Admin when learners are few in number.
Scenario 2: Bulk upload of users by Admin when there is a large number of users.
Scenario 3: Self-registration by Learner
Let’s explore it in detail.
Scenario 1: Creating a user account manually (by Administrator)
An administrator or manager (or any other user with the capability) can create new user accounts. This can done by following these steps:
- In the Site Administration section, navigate to Users > Accounts, click Add new users. OR Use Quick Dashboard > Add new users
- On the Add new user page, fill out the required fields. Once these values are set, click Create user. Let’s see more details about the required fields in the user form.
- Username: User will use this username to log in to the system. If needed, this can be modified later but it has to be unique.
- Authentication method: This specifies how you will validate whether a user’s specified credentials are correct. Accounts created by an administrator use the Manual Accounts method.
- Suspended account: Suspended user accounts cannot log in or use web services, and any outgoing messages are discarded. This helps in controlling the Active or Inactive status of a user account.
- Password: This is the user’s password for ScholarLMS login. It is recommended to use a strong password.
- First Name and Surname: The user’s surname is displayed along with the first name in messages, forum posts, participants list, reports and anywhere where something about the user is shown on the page.
- Email address: All the notifications will be sent to this email address.
- Generate password and notify user: If this option is checked system will generate a temporary password and email the user with instructions on how to log in and change it.
- Done! The user has been added, to check navigate to Site administration > Users >Accounts > Browse list of users to view the User list.
Tricks for Administrators
An email will be sent to users when Generate password and notify user option is checked while creating the user account. The system will generate a temporary password and email the user with instructions on how to log in and change it.
The verbiage of this email can be modified as per the need. These steps can be followed for the modification:
Step 1: in Site administration > Administration > Language > Language customization.
Step 2: Select ‘ScholarLMS.php’ and the string identifier “newusernewpasswordtext”. Enter your preferred message in the Local customization box, and click “Save changes” to the language pack.
Scenario 2: Bulk Upload of users (by Administrator)
An administrator can upload multiple user accounts by using a text file. This method comes really handy when you have a long list of users and the manual process becomes tedious to create user accounts.
The procedure for uploading a list of users is following:
- Create csv file for uploading: Here is an example of a simple valid upload file: Column headers on the first line of the file are only highlighted in bold in this example to distinguish it from the rest of the of the data/user details).
Mandatory header fields are: username, firstname, lastname, email, and password
Optional header fields are: Phone, address, city, Country, etc.
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Accounts > Upload users
- Add file to upload
- Upload users preview – check settings and default user profile settings
- Upload users preview – click Upload users
- Upload users results – shows list of users, exceptions made in upload and summary of number of users.
- Upload users results – click Continue
- Done! Returns to Upload users screen
- Site administration > Users >Accounts > Browse list of users to view the User list.
Scenario 3: Self-Registration (by users)
The email-based self-registration authentication method enables users to create their own accounts via the ‘Create new account’ button on the login page. They then receive an email at the address they specified in their account profile to confirm their account.
- Open the LMS URL.
- On the login page, Click on the button “Create new account”
- Fill out all the mandatory fields marked with * and click on the Create my new account button
- An automatically generated email from your Administrator will be immediately sent to your email address (the one you have provided in the registration). If you could not find the e-mail, please check your spam/trash folder.
- Read your email, and click on the web link to confirm account.
Tricks for Administrators
How to Enable User Signup (self-registration) in your LMS?
- Log in to your ScholarLMS site as an admin user, and navigate to the Manage authentication option under the Administration block:
Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication
- Under the Available authentication plugins section, find the Email-based self-registration and enable the plugin by activating the eye icon.
- Scroll down, under the common settings section, find the self-registration dropdown and ensure if the email-based self-registration is auto selected. If not, make the required change.
- Click Save changes.That’s it. Done! Now your users can sign up to your site.
If you’d like to customize the signup form, you can go to the Email-based self-registration page to do that: Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Email-based self-registration